[SECC] SS Club Competition - Going for the Gavel

Hal Kennedy halken at comcast.net
Thu Oct 20 06:36:59 EDT 2005

Great post Bill - and timely.  I read the mail on several other clubs'
reflectors and they are busy with lots of traffic getting ready for SS.

Here are a few ideas the more advanced planners are putting forward:

1.  Two operators at good stations.  If you have at least a tribander
and wires for 40/80, consider inviting someone over and using both
calls.  The better operator stays on the high bands during the day and
the low bands at night using his own call.  The other operator, using
his own call, stays on 40 and 80 during the day and 20 at night.  Two
good scores can come from one station this way and it's perfectly legal,
provided each entrant uses a separate and distinct transmitter.  Even if
someone can only drop by for an hour or two - coming on the bands late
in the contest as 'fresh meat' can produce tremendous rates and a good
score in a short time.  See #2.

2. A study done at another club shows a good op can get 40-50% of the
top winning score in about 10 hours.  I suspect you can get a very
helpful score for the club in one hour of operating.  ALL SCORES ARE
WELCOME!!!

3.  There is a concept called HMO - highly motivated operator - which is
discussed in length in the last issue of NCJ.  This practice lead the
NCCC to two SS gavels.  [This is probably a good place to put in the
plug I have been meaning to post for a while - NCJ is a real bargain at
$20 per year.  It has lots of great articles on antennas and station
building, operating strategy, results for the Sprints and NAQPs, etc.
Much more gratifying than spending that $20 bill on, say, a half tank of
gas.  Its for little pistols as well as the big guns.]  HMOs are ops who
give up a chance at personal glory to aid the club score by operating at
two locations under two calls.  Two ops can operate half the contest at
home under their own calls, travel to each other's stations and get on
the air using a different call.  This is legal as long as 'as-yet
unused' transmitters and amps are turned on for the operation under the
second callsign.

Some of the above may be more than any of us have the motivation for - I
don't know - fortunately, it's not required for us to win as a club.  As
Bill points out, SECC was only a few QSOs short of being the top
mid-sized club last year.  We can win this if each of us who get on
regularly operates just a little more in SS, and those who have lost
interest simply flip on the rig for an hour and submit their score.

See you in SS!  FT CW here, and at least PT but hopefully FT in SSB.

73
Hal
N4GG