[SECC] SS Club Competition - Going for the Gavel

ku8e@bellsouth.net ku8e at bellsouth.net
Fri Oct 21 09:54:58 EDT 2005

I went out back last night an did some measurements.

I don't have enough room for a 40 meter bobtail so I am counting that out. About the highest I can get up into the trees is maybe 55 ft. I presently have a wire vertical with 4 elevated radials that works very well... but I want to be able to point it in some direction. I was thinking of putting up either the Half Square to EU (Ed BTW this doesn't require an elablorate ground system) or putting up anothor vertical and phase them. I can get a cardiod pattern endfire with 1/4 wl spacing. I could switch this NE/SW manually until I can build up a switch.  Or I can space them 1/2 wl and get a bidirectional pattern NE/SW - endfire NW/SE broadside and switch then..

I have had up a 40 meter Half Square at this QTH before and it worked great. It was pointed NW / SE but last spring the county mower guy mowed it down when the were cutting the grass in the easement behind us ( where I have my antennas) I ended up just replacing it with the wire vertical.

Bill..
It would be interesting for you to model the 3 el inverted vee wire beam. I am thinking the verticals might work better because the beam would be too low for 40 meters...

BTW does anyone have experience switching directions in a wire beam using the stubs ??  There is
an article in QST this month for an 3 el 80 meter wire beam. He is switching directions using stubs..

Jeff