[SECC] SS Club Competition - Going for the Gavel

ku8e@bellsouth.net ku8e at bellsouth.net
Fri Oct 21 14:49:03 EDT 2005

K4SAV wrote :

Comparison:

El Angle  Half Square  Dipole     2 Ele Vert    2 El Inv Vee 14% above

30                        2.1         5.7          1.9              8.7
20                        3.6         3.8          1.8              7.1
15                        3.5         2               1                5.4
10                        2.3        -1            -.5                2.4

I knew a half square was a low angle antenna but I would of never guessed a dipole @ 50 ft
would be equal to it at a 20 degree takeoff angle. BTW I was feeding my half square at the
bottom and had 4 radials on it.

Your numbers at a 20 degree TO angle seem to agree with what I saw on W4RNL's webpage.

Can you model the 2 el wire beam with the ends about 20 feet off the ground. That is what they
would be in my case.

I presently also have an 88 foot doublet feed with open wire that is at about 45 feet.
It also seems to work pretty good on 40 meters. It is broadside NE/SW. I know it has nulls off the ends so that is why I have a 40 meter vertical and my NM/SE 20 meter dipole. I bet it's numbers are pretty close to a 50 foot high dipole on 40 meters. If I am interested in working EU I am probably not gain anything with putting up a half square toward that direction....

Jeff