[SECC] Antenna Choices

Jerry Montgomery RadioIR at charter.net
Fri Oct 21 20:23:18 EDT 2005

Jeff

You aren't going to believe this.  I had just worked up the answer to
your question, along with some more information, and I was about ready
to hit the button to send it when my chair broke, I went tumbling over
backwards (no injury).  When I got up my computer had crashed and it
won't recover.  It won't even boot from a floppy. (I'm not really that
heavy.) I'm trying to get it going again right now.  Hope I can make it
recover.  Pressed my laptop into service to send this message.
When I make it recover, I will send the antenna results.  The summary
was that the 2 element vee being operated 14% high in frequency has a
physical problem, it requires a switch at the antenna terminals, which
is not too practical.  So the best approach is to use stub tuning.  I
think the length was 320 degrees for the two lines to the elements,
seems like it was about 81 ft of 0.66 velocity cable, not too sure of
the exact number.  The performance for the antenna with top at 50 feet
and sides at 40 feet was pretty good, esentially the same as I had given
you before.  When you droop the sides to 20 feet, the gain drops
significantly, take-off angle goes up and front to back drops to 2.5 to
5 dB.  It was a fairly large penality.

If I don't get this thing to recover soon, I will repeat the analysis.

Jerry, K4SAV