[SECC] K4JRB Still Work in Progress

David Thompson thompson at mindspring.com
Sun Oct 23 23:00:21 EDT 2005

I finished the short dipole inverted L for 160 but only had a few minutes to
see if it worked in the CQ 160.
The Dipole L works good South for DX and seems almost omni for USA but is
weak on EU and North Africa DX.

What remains on my beams is to put some sort of overhead struts on my KT
34XA.  I have plenty of 3/8" synthetic rope but the docs won't let me climb
up the ladder mast to get to the turnbuckles as my legs cramp up.  I also
wanted to see if I could get up close enough to the remains of the 2 meter
ISOPOLE to remove it and put up the used one I got from AA6DX.  I may need
to get a step for the ladder mast from W9IIX.  The 40 meter beam is complete
with all cap hats added.  The beams are stuck on 30 degrees (and just above
roof top) as I plan to do a rotor swap in a couple of weeks with Brad at
W9FX rotor works.  I can lay some 2 X4's inside the tower to use as a
platform and swap the rotors as I have doe this three times before.

Looks like the leaves won't be gone much before December 1st so wire antenna
work can't start until then.  I have my second 80- meter vertical dipole to
get back up and the big 160 T.  The remains of the old MULTEE are still
hanging in the big tree.

I looked into getting a portable ladder lift to do the beam and tower work
but the XYL vetoed the price.  I am thinking of getting some help from the
local fire department.  Anyone have good contacts with any fire department
so I can ask how I can get assistance?  I do a lot of hurricane net support
and that might help.

So I am only on 40 SSB during the day and 80/75 sometimes at night so no
contesting right now.

73 Dave K4JRB