[SECC] FW: Amateur Radio Antenna "CC&R Bill" Reintroduced in Congress

Scott Straw scottstraw at mindspring.com
Mon Sep 26 22:35:29 EDT 2005

Friends,

I hate to be a contrary cuss, but I must offer a differing opinion regarding
how to reach a federal congressional representative.

My Senator, Tom Price, was interviewed recently on a radio discussion
program and he URGED his constituents to use e-mail, and AVOID the USPS.
His reasoning is simple.  E-mail is much faster, and a well composed and
written letter is just as effective electronically, as it is on paper (which
is how it will end up eventually).  Also, thanks to the Anthrax incidents,
all USPS mail inbound to a Representative or a Senator is sent to a remote
facility where it is visually inspected, x-rayed, and irradiated.
Traditional mail can take upwards of several weeks to actually reach the
desk of one of his assistants' assistants.

Decide for yourself, but whichever way you choose to contact your
representative, please do so.  What the bill proposes is not that radical,
and harms no one.  All it will do is require the Home Owners Associations
that have Covenants, Conditions, and Restrictions to recognize PRB-1 as any
city, county, or state must.  HOA's can't supercede building codes for your
home, and they shouldn't be able to restrict reasonable accommodations for
ham antennas.

In my subdivision, which used a "boilerplate" CC&R so I'm sure it is the
same elsewhere, NO "outside" antennas are allowed, but "dish receivers" are
expressly permitted - go figure.  I think mine even goes so far as to
prohibit "transmitting" antennas.  These oppressive restrictions are beyond
unreasonable.

I will second Paul's second point.

Scott
KB4KBS