[SECC] FW: I need some advice

Hal Kennedy halken at comcast.net
Mon Aug 14 21:14:02 EDT 2006

Ah, ha!  Dan, there are few questions you could ask that might stir more
controversy - maybe: "Which radio do you like best?"

I am a fan of Writelog, but, it is complex to install and expensive.  If you
are not computer literate, forget Writelog.  Good things are being said
about N1MM, which is Windows based and free.  K1ZZI just fired it up and is
having good luck with it.

I have a strong preference for Windows based programs over DOS, due to
Windows ability to handle ethernet and/or TCP/IP as the network link.
Various forms of networking are an advantage - even for a single op.
Meanwhile, even the older DOS programs will run within a DOS window under
windows, so there is no obvious answer.

I do suggest keeping a "clean" computer for logging if you can afford
dedicating one.  By clean, I mean, one that does not browse the internet
where it will pick up adware, spyware, cookies, viruses and who knows what,
despite our best efforts.  The two logging computers here only reach the
internet for telnet spots - nothing else.  They run blazing fast and never
crash - because they are not full of junk.

Others WILL have opinions!

Hal, N4GG