[SECC] Claimed Scores, Last Weekend's Contests

K9AY k9ay at k9ay.com
Thu Dec 7 10:40:36 EST 2006

Jeff and all,

32 radials is generally considered the point after which there are
diminishing returns. My present antenna has (26) 100-foot radials. BTW --
that 0.7 dB extra gain will make 1000W sound like 1175W -- not big, but not
trivial.

Also, large size wire is not required for radials unless you need the
physical ruggedness. #18 is good enough, which might let you add more
radials for the same $$$. I use #17 aluminum electric fence wire, which is
fine for seasonal radials (maybe not along the coast!) and which costs about
$20 per 1/4 mile.

Finally, if you have an inv-L and are stuck with a small number of radials,
make sure one of them is directly under the horizontal wire.

73, Gary
K9AY