[SECC] no code license

Rick Dougherty NQ4I nq4i at contesting.com
Mon Dec 18 12:13:38 EST 2006

Hi all and Happy Holidays...greetings from VK2 Land...I have been here 3
days now and this no code thing has been very interesting indeed...a little
history...Australia has the Foundation License class...the call sign is like
VK2Fxxx and represents that the holder is a foundation licensee...they are
allowed almost all voice privileges on almost all frequencies and 10 watt
power limitation...it appears that it has been a very good thing here in
VK.....the licensee's are devoted hams...they have nice stations...most are
second and third generations of hams in the family...and I for one can't see
any wrong here...it is still difficult to work these hams since on 80m and
40m they are low power...but some stateside hams are working them....

Take a look around at a hamfest nowdays...there are no young hams in
attendance...the average age of hams in the US is nearly 55 or greater....we
need an infusion of some younger blood into the hobby..and if it comes in
this way...so be it! We can either accept the fact that it is inevitable and
go with the flow...or we can put our collective heads in the sand or sell
off our equipment in protest....

I see it as a chance for additional contestor's...these young hams, some
will want the challenge of contesting....some will participate....and some
will even become super op's like W4AN, N5TJ, and VE7ZO.....so lets embrace
the changes....it does no good to lament and cry in our beer that "there
goes the hobby"...change is good....

And ya know...some might learn the code...I heard an old contestor tell a
bunch of younger contestors who were ssb only op's...."good contestor's do
CW as well as SSB" and that provided the motivation for me in 1979 to
upgrade to extra class and begin CW contesting....now its my favorite
mode....

Well thats my .02 cents worth ....preparing for incoming!!

de Rick nq4i