[SECC] This Weekend's Contests

John Laney k4bai at worldnet.att.net
Thu Jan 5 10:58:48 EST 2006

Hello:

There are a few contests this weekend that we might possibly be able to
make QSOs in, in addition to the ARRL RTTY Round-Up.

1.  NCCC Practice NAQP CW Session.  Thursday night local, UTC Friday
0330-0400.  160-10CW.  Exchange: Call, Name, SPC.  (No dupes.)

There is also a QRP 40M CW Fox Hunt for two QRP Foxes Thursday night
0200-0330 Friday UTC, 7030-7050 khz.  Exchange:  Call, RST, Name, SPC,
power output.  The two foxes will likely start out split, QSX up
usually, and then change to simplex when the pileups die down.

2.  ARRL RTTY Round-Up.  18Z Sat to 24Z Sun.  24 hours maximum.  RTTY
and Digital, 80-10M.  Exchange:  Call, RST & State or Prov for US/VE and
RST & Serial No. for non W/VE.
http://www.arrl.org/contests/rules/2006.rtty.html.

3.  Kid's Day Contest.  18-24Z Sunday.  SSB 20, 15, 10.  Also 2M FM
Repeaters.  Exchange:  Name, Age, QTH, Favorite Color.
http://www.arrl.org/FandES/ead/kd-rules.html.

4.  Original QRP Contest.  15Z Sat to 15Z Sun.  80-20M CW.  Exchange:
RST + Serial #/category.  Categories:  VLP (1 w output); QRP (5 w
output); MP (20 w output).  Example:  559001/qrp.  This is really for
rigs that won't produce more than 20 watts output or 40 watts input.  If
you have a rig capable of more power output, you can participate, but
your log will be a "checklog."  http://www.qrpcc.de/contestrules/oqrpr.html.

I have sometimes had fun giving out a few QSOs to the European stations
in this one.  So far, I have been able to work them only on 20M.

Have a good weekend and a lot of QSOs.  This would be a good weekend to
be QRV on RTTY, I'd think.

73,

John, K4BAI.

P.S.  Conditions on 160 meters were excellent last night.  I was able
with my lash-up antenna (80 meter inverted vee fed through an antenna
tuner with 3 radials) to work G3PQA, UT3MD, and two Cuban stations in
just a few minutes.  I also heard, but could not work, IV3PRK and UT0IL.
   UT3MD was a new country for me on 160.  There seems to be DX to work
on 160 on nights when the QRN is low when there is no DX on 80 above
3525 and very little DX on 40 above 7025.  Daily DX today reported that
JA5DQH was loud on 1824 khz until after 12Z this morning.