[SECC] Simple Antenna for 6 Meters that Works

K4SAV RadioIR at charter.net
Tue Jun 13 10:37:45 EDT 2006

Your 10 meter stack at a 0.57 wavelength spacing is not a close spaced
stack. The 20 meter stack you are considering at 0.36 wavelength spacing
is a close spaced stack. The answers you get from YO should be correct.
YO should show less gain from this stack than HFTA does.  HFTA starts
being significantly different somewhere around 0.5 wavelength spacing.
HFTA will always show 3 dB gain regardless of the stack spacing.  This
is not the way it works. HFTA uses a point source for the antenna, and
ray tracing is done in only the forward direction.  Rays directed toward
the other antenna are not considered.

I just didn't want you to be mislead by the gain numbers produced by
HFTA which are in error for close spacings.  You should be able to trust
the gain numbers from YO.

Another thing to consider if you are trying to use exact gain numbers
from HFTA is that HFTA uses fixed gain values for each antenna.  It does
not do field analysis like YO or NEC. For example, a four element yagi
always has 8.5 dB free space gain. This was chosen as a typical number.
In the real world your 4 element yagi may have a different gain value.
If you are looking for precise gain numbers for comparison to different
antennas or to the output of another program, you have to do a manual
gain correction. If you are using HFTA just to look at the effects of
terrain, then a gain error of a dB or two doesn't matter.

Jerry, K4SAV