[SECC] ARRLDX SSB K4TD SOAB(A) HP

Rick Walker rnwalker at bellsouth.net
Mon Mar 6 21:17:42 EST 2006

Call: K4TD
Operator(s): K4TD
Station: K4TD

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: AL
Operating Time (hrs): 29.6

  160:    0     0
   80:   55    44
   40:  126    68
   20:  360   100
   15:  224    81
   10:   56    17
-------------------
Total:  821   310  Total Score = 763,530

I'll give you two reasons why I didn't do well in this contest.  First, I
dislike operating SSB.  Second, I dislike operating SSB...  Well, I guess
that's really only one reason, but it's a big one...

As an aside, this contest was almost the end of the road for my Ten-Tec
ORIONs.  I came very close to throwing them against the wall on Saturday.  I
upgraded the firmware to version 2.055, and the performance is horrible.  I
sent a very direct email to Ten-Tec today asking them for suggestions on how
to fix the problems I'm experiencing.  There is a severe crackling and
popping in the audio output under very heavy signal loading conditions.  The
only way to reduce the crackling and popping is to turn the RF gain down so
low that it is hard to actually hear anything.  Since the condition in
present in both XCVRs, it's hard for me to think that I have a hardware
malfunction.  However, if Ten-Tec can show me that I'm making an operator
mistake or I have the same failure in two different XCVRs then I'll be happy
to take all this back.  Until then, I'm going to start looking for some
FT-1000s...  Anyone interested in a complete SO2R setup based on ORIONs?  I
have two ORION I's along with WX0B auto-band switching devices, WX0B auto
band-pass filter hardware and a DX Doubler SO2R controller that I'd let go
for the right price...

On a brighter note, I got the Alpha 87a back from the factory on Thursday
prior to the contest, and it is working better than ever.  I sent it out on
the previous Thursday so Alpha gave me a one-week turnaround including
shipping times.  My hat's off to them.  Great job, Brad and Molly!!