[SECC] My annual contest run

David Thompson thompson at mindspring.com
Tue Mar 7 01:23:43 EST 2006

Since the docs won't let me contest for more than a few hours at a time plus
this year my antennas are still down I just listened to 80 meter SSB on
Friday nite.  Wall to wall DX from 3600 to 3750 with some loud Dx between
3750 and 3862 (a WP2).  I was working on replacing a diode in my old 8877
amp so this was just a listening effort.  Antennas 80 meter Carolina Short
(formerly the carolina beam) and a Mor-gain 80 meter vertical dipole.

Saturday nite I got to the shack and with the amp back on line I decided to
make my run on 40 meters.  My beam is fixed on 50 degrees (and at 35 feet )
and so unless they were loud I had to pass on most NA and SA.  I started by
working CT8T at 0504Z.  I then tuned the band for 5 minutes and found ZF2AH
loud simplex near my US band frequency.  I then worked thru the band three
times logging a total of 98 contacts ending with RK2FWA at 0603.   Several
stations such as HG6N called me by name.  I then tried CQing listening down
at 7099 then 7036.  By 0619 I was up to 117 QSOs and the breaker in the amp
blew.  There were two or three stations still calling (a loud F5 included)
but I was off and my run complete.

Don't know how the other bands were but 80 and 40 were bonkers here.  There
are some scores on Dink's 3830 list on 40 SB that barely had 117 QSos.  How
about the old low band (160, 80, 40) classification being revived!

Hope everyone had fun.

73 Dave K4JRB