[SECC] FW:[3830] WPX SSB NS4T SOAB LP

a knason at emeraldis.com
Thu Mar 30 17:54:01 EST 2006

All,

I haven't participated in club activities for
quite awhile, but am now getting back into
the groove. I think the last contest I worked
with the club was as NS4T. I'd changed my call
a couple times since then, but back to that
one again. Grass always greener and all that.
Found out, like most, it isn't. Although some
said there must be something else behind the
call change, it really was because I was sick
of trying to get DX to understand "Sierra". I
normally used "Sugar" and sometimes "Santiago",
but always had trouble. I've thought a bit on
it and decided I was just grousing about
something that everyone has trouble with --
running low power with low antenna's means
there are going to be a lot of repeats. Glad
I'm over that now. Didn't complain a bit about
it this contest, even to myself. Anyway, it's
good to be back with a call I like again. I
plan to keep it now. I ordered QSL cards last
week. Didn't have any last time had the call.
Going to get caught up on all old cards when
they get here.

A few improvements have been made and seem to
be working well. Have a 3 ele 20m at 53' and
planning on putting a 4 ele 15m up around 42'
in next couple months. The tower is in trees
and have to consider turning radius. Going to
try and salvage parts from an LJ204 that was
cut down for 17m. Have to teach myself a bit
about yagi design software and see what I
can come up with. Seems more fun than just
buying a new one. Also still running an A4S
at about 25', the 272' horizontal loop at
25', a 160 Inv L, and have put an MFJ 80/40
top loaded vertical on a section of Rohn 25
so it's up about 10 ft. Put the roofing filter
mod into the 1000MP Field and seemed to have
helped quite a bit. Also have K9AY switchable
loops to put up.

Operating skills seem to be improving. I'm
pleased with the WPX contest results. Finally
was able to defend a run frequency so tower
seems to help. Maybe it was just the
confidence boost. Spent about 28 hours on.
Didn't get started until Saturday morning.
Took me that long to finish putting antenna
up on tower. Also had chopped coax to all
other antenna's when putting in lightening
protection and had to finish putting PL259's
on cables and connect everything.

Thanks for all that worked me. Sorry
couldn't get NQ4I on upper bands. Sometimes
back scatter works, but they couldn't hear
me this time. My not working them there
didn't seem to hurt their score though!

Going to try and get in CQWPX CW although
my cw skills aren't very skillful anymore.

Kevan Nason
NS4T