[SECC] WPX SSB AA4LR SO(TS)AB LP

Bill Coleman aa4lr at arrl.net
Thu Mar 30 22:58:21 EST 2006

                     CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: AA4LR
Operator(s): AA4LR
Station: AA4LR

Class: SO(TS)AB LP
QTH: GA
Operating Time (hrs): 8

------------
   160:    8
    80:   20
    40:   39
    20:  100
    15:   96
    10:   27
------------

Equipment:
Elecraft K2/100 w/ KAT100
Homebrew K1KP-style voice keyer (1 message)

Antennas:
A3S/A743 at 15m (10-40m)
Shunt fed 15m tower (80, 160m)

Comments:

For some reason, my comments didn't come through before, and my score
was all messed up. I'll try again.

Not enough time in a busy weekend to do this one full time. But, I
managed to put together a few hours to hand out some contacts and
work a little DX.

Managed to work NQ4I on all six bands within 2 hours of operating
Friday evening. Best help I could be, since I could head down to
Ricks to operate. Those guys did a tremendous job!

Heard F4DNW calling CQ on 40m for North America and listening up.
Unfortunately, he was listening on 7151 kHz -- which isn't legal for
the USA if you are running LSB. OOps.

Glad to hear NJ8J work PY2ADR just before I did. Ben's birthday
present was getting his radio fixed. Good to see he's putting it to
good use.

Oddest moment was hearing KM9P calling CQ. I remember Bill's old
call, I even used it during the SS Phone 1995. Good to hear it on the
air again.

Had one really bad moment. Called a DX station and got a report, but
I had missed his callsign. So, I asked for a repeat of his callsign.
He asked for my number. I asked again for his callsign. Somehow, this
really pissed him off, so he said something like "Negative" and
started calling CQ again. I called him repeatedly for the next 20
minutes, but he refused to work me. At one point he called me and
asked me what I wanted. I told him I wanted to make a contact. He
said, "OK Bye", and started calling CQ again. I tuned up the band and
came back in a half hour. He was still there, so I called him six or
seven times, but then he disappeared.

I found the whole experience very disturbing. Extremely unsportsmanlike.

Posted using 3830 Score Submittal Forms at: http://www.hornucopia.com/
3830score/

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901