[SECC] SS SSB AA4LR Single Op LP

Bill Coleman aa4lr at arrl.net
Thu Nov 30 07:52:23 EST 2006

                     ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: AA4LR
Operator(s): AA4LR
Station: AA4LR

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: GA
Operating Time (hrs): 4.3
Radios: SO2R

------------
   160:   00
    80:   25
    40:  110
    20:   83
    15:   47
    10:    0
------------

Antennas:
A3S/A743 at 15m (10,15,20,40m)
Shunt-fed 15m tower (80m)
115 foot untuned doublet at 10m (40, 80m)
R7000 at 2.5m (10-40m)
Half-size K9AY loop pointed North (not switchable)

Equipment:
Elecraft K2/100 w/KAT100 running 100 watts
Kenwood TS-430S running 100 watts
Homebrew K1KP-style voice keyer (1 message)

Comments:

Well. Not what I expected. I had tried my usual trick of finding a
cozy spot on 20m just before the contest, but the band was already
way too crowded by the time I showed up. Instead, I started by S &
Ping on 15m. This was very effective, as I was getting through on the
first call. Back to 20m after 20 minutes and more S & P. By the end
of the first hour, I found a spot on 20m to call CQ. End of the first
hour was 63 Qs. Second hour is just as productive with about 70 Qs,
mostly on 40m. By the end of the third hour, I'm at 184 Qs and this
ain't such a bad start after all!

Wham! The forth hour hits and I'm just not getting anywhere. 25 Qs.
By 0110z - I hit the wall. The contest just stopped being fun. So, I
stopped.

I had expected a full-time effort and a score as good or better than
last year. I just think I wasn't well-prepared this time. Too many
long hours at work the couple of weeks before and not enough down-time.

Got on for a little more than an hour on Sunday afternoon just to
hand out a few more Qs. I think my full-time efforts are going to be
limited to NAQP for a while.

One high note to end on. This year, I was sporting a half-size K9AY
loop for receive on 160-40m. I had used it a few weeks before to work
XF4DL on 80m and 160m, then I repositioned it so I could use it for
the domestic contest. I wasn't convinced it was working well at all.

The K9AY loop made a huge difference digging signals out of all the
QRM. It really didn't help me work anybody I couldn't hear on the
transmitting antenna, but it did help me work them faster, without
any time-consuming repeats. I'm probably going to build it on out to
a full set of two loops switchable in four directions.

Interestingly, the loop is supported by a small oak tree. The sides
are literally supported by the limbs of the tree. I though I might
have to use some short guy ropes. I'm using a counterpoise at the
moment, but Gary recommends a short ground rod instead. Plenty of
improvements to make.

Posted using 3830 Score Submittal Forms at: http://www.hornucopia.com/
3830score/

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net