[SECC] More in common than different

Gordon greyeagl at bellsouth.net
Mon Oct 2 12:21:53 EDT 2006

Good morning guys and gals.  This is my first post (of substance) though I
have been reading for quite a while now.  I am absolutely thrilled that we
got past the recent problems on the reflector.  For the first time in a long
time, I took the time to read everything everyone has written.  Enough of
that part.

NOW!  Antennas for working SS and other contests.  I can't really allude to
what I have done so far but I have read extensively over the past two years
trying to come up with something workable for the guy who cannot erect a
tower much less climb one.  Wire antennas seem to be the way to go to place
the signal in the most favorable direction.  One thought that comes to mind
is the MOXON 2 element beam made from wire and suspended from available
trees or masts.  It takes up less space than other normal sized antennas.

I remember reading in the Handbook many years ago about using three 2X4s for
a fairly sturdy mast.  Separating two of the pieces by 2X4 blocks and
sandwiching the upper piece between them at the top to get up to 30+ feet of
mast which can be either guyed or braced against the eaves of the house at a
convenient point.  Of course that's great for older OFs like me that can't
walk or climb very well.  500 feet of #14 insulated wire is less that $20.00
at Lowe's so that's the way I am going.....A Moxon for 20 and maybe for 40.
My present 5BTV vertical works fine for some things but is definitely NOT a
contest antenna.

Let's not write 10 and 15 off just yet.  I remember two years ago at Field
Day when 15 was wild until midnight here in Macon.  10 Meters worked fine up
until about 10:30 Sat night.  Then again, I may have had a pipeline because
it seemed as though I was on the DX (type) end of a never-ending pileup for
a few hours.  One never knows these days!

Gordon - K4OD
Macon, Ga