[SECC] Alabama Contest Group and SECC Club Circle

ku8e at bellsouth.net ku8e at bellsouth.net
Sun Oct 8 21:28:51 EDT 2006

     John , K4BAI, told me about a new contest group that has been formed in Alabama - the Alabama Contest Group. In checking
   the 3830 postings for CQP tonight I noticed most of the SECC members in Alabama, who in the past have submitted their
   scores for the SECC, are now submitting their scores for the ACG.

       I assume that they will not be submitting scores for the SECC anymore. I was wondering if  there has been any thought
  about moving the SECC club circle ?  We obviously don't need the circle to be as far west or north (due the the TCG) as
  it is now. On the other hand if the circle is shifted southeast we could pickup guys like W4BQF,  KT4ZB, KF4GTA and
  the guys in the FCG-Panhandle who might want to submit scores for the SECC.

   It is going to be hard to defend our SS Medium Class Club title from last year because we had some good scores from some
  of the Alabama guys that we are going to probably lose. See the following analysis from 2005 contest season
  (ARRL Contests with a Club Competition) :

   2005 ARRL Sweepstakes :

    Points                                     Alabama Contribution          % of Total Club Score
    1,849,330 (SSB)                           170,694                               9.23%
    2,052,396 (CW)                            353,624                               17.22 %
    3,901,726                                    524,318                               13.43 %

    2006 ARRL DX :

    Points                                   Alabama Contribution          % of Total Club Score
     4,726,500 (SSB)                             51,294                              1.0 %
    17,091,729(CW)                           1,947,780                             11.4 %
    21,818,229                                  1,999,074                               9.0 %

     2005 160 Meter Contest :

    Points                                   Alabama Contribution          % of Total Club Score
    1,253,776                                 248,372                               19.8 %

    2005 10 Meter Contest :

    Points                                   Alabama Contribution          % of Total Club Score
    2,510,642                                 382,512                               15.2 %

  In reality the Alabama SECC members contributed very little to our club totals. The only two entries we had outside of GA in the 2005-2006
  contest season  (excluding AL) were one entry in ARRL DX CW form SC and one entry in SS CW from SC. This would be a good argument to make
  the SECC a Georgia only club.

   I am not going to suggest what the club should do since that is the job of the club president - N4GG, but I do think this
  is something that should be discussed.

  Also, Good luck to the ACG in their endeavor. I will keep you guys in mind when forming teams for the Sprint or NAQP
  contests.

  Jeff KU8E