[SECC] SECC member email addresses not private?

Jerry Flanders jeflanders at comcast.net
Thu Oct 12 14:44:04 EDT 2006

Today I received a SECC-related contact from a commercial firm
masquerading as a "free" greeting card  provider. That firm now has
my email address.

I don't think any of us want our email addresses turned over to
outside commercial agencies. You just don't know what they will do
with it down the line. There is no free greeting card, just as there
is no free lunch.

I have had to change email addresses several times in the past
because of spammers junk mail trashing my mailbox. Changing email
address is a real PITA, and I am trying very hard to keep this one.

Any SECC member considering turning over private member information
to an outside commercial company should think twice. No - wait - just
don't do it at all. See below.

Jerry W4UK

Read some sobering information at:

http://bcn.boulder.co.us/~neal/privacy/trojanmarketing.html

I don't know if it is true or not, but here is the introduction:
  "

Trojan Marketing: Evite, DoubleClick, and the rest

Exposing friends to Trojan Marketeers

Would you sign a friend up with a telemarketing or junk mail
operation? Would you give their phone number or home address to a
corporation you know little about? Do you want your friends to be
tracked while they browse the Internet by a stealthy network of
advertisers, spammers and worse?

Of course not. Then why are millions of people giving their friend's
email addresses to corporations via an ever-growing range of web forms?..."