[SECC] Notes on 40 and SAC

David Thompson thompson at mindspring.com
Tue Sep 26 00:39:03 EDT 2006

Dan W4NTI said:

> Bottom line.  The RTTY crowd has defacto taken over what used to be CW
> territory.  And folks just flat don't like it.

The OH1 I worked and a LA who tried Single Band 40 were also very upset.
7075 to 7100 is normally SSB.  Even quiet frequencies above 7085 were
quickly filled with RTTY once the OH1 or the LA tried to use SSB.  This has
always been the traditional week for the SAC SSB.  With spots low 40 has
been the band outside of 20 to make contacts.

As I said a loud EA3 did make a frequency on around 7088 was the only SSB
coming thru here.

40 does not have enough room for CW rtty, other digital, and SSB especially
if therre are duelling contests.    I wonder why OH and LA have not
allocated 7100 to 7200 as most other European Countries have.  In the past
few weeks I have worked G, GM, GI, UA, HB, LY2, 9A, and 4X above 7150.  Best
spots are 7153 to 58 and 7188 to 7192.  I2VRN and EA3BOX say they still have
no word about opening the band.

For now one contest needs to move the date next year.

73 Dave K4JRB