[SECC] Notes on 40 and SAC

John Vickers wa4tt at nlamerica.com
Thu Sep 28 21:16:10 EDT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill Coleman" <aa4lr at arrl.net>

> Which raises an interesting question. There's a considerable number
> of active RTTY operators who are profoundly deaf. How are these
> operators expected to identify CW or other signals on or near their
> passbands? That could be quite difficult.

A good rule of thumb would be to operate higher in the band where rtty has
been traditionly utilized. Then the chance of him being on top of some QSO
he can't hear is minute. During DX contest it's all a moot point, be SSB,
CW, or RTTY. For everyday QSOs it would be better to stay up around 7080.
Knowledgeable instruction to new comers will help tremendously but part of
that instruction should include a bit of the history and practice of the
past. Even some of us Older Timers could stand to brush up sometime.

Personally, Hamming isn't as important in my life as it has been. If a freq
is busy I find another. But I surely want be bullied off if I'm already
there, by any mode. Its just much nicer when we all play by the rules--- not
just those of the FCC---- but the rules of the bands that have been
acknowledged by most before us.
73, John WA4TT