[SECC] GQP Changes

Gordon greyeagl at bellsouth.net
Mon Apr 23 14:08:23 EDT 2007

Good thinking Rick!  I am in favor of expanding the multiplier list for GA
stations.  For instance, I think allowing GA counties as multipliers would
greatly enhance the scoring.  However, I would limit GA stations to working
a county for mult credit only once, regardless of band.  It makes no sense
to me to inflate the scores simply to have higher scores.  63+159=222.....
that's enough multipliers!  We can't even seriously consider a QSO party as
a MAJOR contest.  Let's keep it simple.  For out of state stations "once per
band per mode" seems logical but I think restricting to 160, 80, 40, 20, 15,
and 10 Meters is a good idea.  Not very many contests, regardless, allow the
WARC bands for credit.  I also agree with allowing 5 points per DX QSO with
a max limit of say 250 points regardless of band/mode.  THat would make it
more appealing on 20, for instance, to work the multitude of DX stations
trying to get into the party.  We could also consider Canada to be a DX
station and not a multiplier getter since there are not really that many
Canadians participating. They would then be sought after but as a 5 pointer
DX station instead of a regular multiplier.

Let's leave the beginning and starting times alone.  They are consistent
with most other QSO parties and allow for a rest period.  I like that.  One
must only enter a major contest like ARRL Nov SS in either mode or ARRL 160
Mtr Contest to understand the tremendous strain on operators involved,
especially those running low power.

One change I would like to see implemented is a power limitation.  150 watts
maximum power to the antenna.  That puts everyone on the same plane, if you
will, and sets up the contest as one of antennas and operating practices as
well as a "get to know you" deal.  You could still offer an award for high
power, low power, and QRP.  Power of 100-150 watts is considered high power.
10 watts - 100 watts = low power.  Less than 10 watts output would be QRP.
Doing something like this also puts the rovers and other mobiles on an equal
footing with everyone else and probably would make it easier to hear those
stations out there trying to work GA counties.

It's something to think about, Rick and kudos to you for bringing it up.

Gordon - K4OD