[SECC] Spotting and UNASSISTED category RE: Member Support

Matt Lee, K4AQ Matt at HiWAAY.net
Wed Aug 1 03:47:17 EDT 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Coleman [ <mailto:aa4lr at arrl.net> mailto:aa4lr at arrl.net]
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2007 20:20
To: Matt at HiWAAY.net
Cc: 'SECC'
Subject: Re: [SECC] Spotting and UNASSISTED category RE: Member Support

On Jul 31, 2007, at 2:47 AM, Matt Lee, K4AQ wrote:

> [K4AQ] Or have software that is "capable" of connecting to the
> [K4AQ] dx cluster because there may be a potential/possibility
> [K4AQ] of an operator "yielding to temptation?"

No, it is easy enough to simply not connect the networking cable,

So I would have to unplug, a physical action, it prior to every UNASSISTED
contest?

That means I cannot have email or IM (I am using Windows). Hmmmm. Not good
for a guy like me who is sneaking in contesting (on my breaks, of course,
hi) while working my real job.

or not connect to the cluster.

> [K4AQ] Should operators with AMPLIFIERS not be allowed to
> [K4AQ] compete in low power only contests, e.g., NAQP, just
> [K4AQ] because they may run HP with just one push of their
> [K4AQ] "operate" switch? (That is much easier than
> [K4AQ] connecting to a dx cluster.)

True enough. Although doing so takes an overt physical action. You'd
know if you turned the amplifier on or not. If you are connected to
the cluster, but just ignoring certain screens, how do you feel if in
the 30th hour of the contest you press some button and network spot
information is displayed?

If, at the 30th hour, you make that boo-boo, you would most likely be too
bleary-eyed to read the spots. I'd also would think you would have other
major issues of more importance to deal with, e.g., dozing at the
rig/computer while transmitting, copying the wrong call/exchange, operating
"out-of-band," busting the 10-minute rule because you cnanged bands too
soon, etc.

TIP: Anyone who is going to "cheat" should do so from the beginning of the
contest, not towards the end of the contest.

> [K4AQ] I can understand your point, Bill. YOU have that
> [K4AQ] choice not to spot or connecting to the dx cluster
> [K4AQ] when operating UNASSISTED based on your thinking.

Yes, exactly.

> [K4AQ] But to impose your thinking on others would not be
> [K4AQ] fair if the rules do not prohibit spotting when
> [K4AQ] operating UNASSISTED.

I agree with you. I don't believe I suggested that my interpretation
of the rules should be imposed on anyone else. It just makes me
uncomfortable.

I'm (very slowly) working on my own contest software. I'll put the
(extremely safe) output-only dx cluster access on the list of future
features....

Good idea, Bill.

For WL users, here's another item to check if you wish to do outbound
spotting only, UNASSISTED: (I am in my 30th hour...hi)

   Be sure that the PACKET SPOTS window is closed, i.e., if it is open,
   uncheck it via the Menu Bar: WINDOW | PACKET SPOTS.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901