[SECC] Fw: NAQP SSB KU8E Single Op HP

Hal Kennedy halken at comcast.net
Sun Aug 19 19:44:38 EDT 2007

Jeff,

I could not agree with you more.  The August and January runs are really
different contests.  On CW in August I can usually make the top 20
running 100W, but it is very hard work - and my arms are tired after
cranking both radios for 10 hours.  HP would be much better.  SSB is a
non-starter for me in August.  Nobody can hear me.  After an hour, two
years ago, I turned on the amps - and DQ'd myself and sent in a check
log.  It was fun but somewhat pointless.

In January I can't even crack the top 20 sometimes with 100W, but I feel
like I am on a better playing field because I can use some skill on CW
to find good frequencies and people can hear me - even if I am not loud.
Because I'm not fighting the QRN and D-layer absorption I can be heard -
unlike August where skill is removed because nothing I can do can get me
heard.

There are guys who year after year are WAY TOO LOUD to be at 100W.  I
think there is significant power cheating in NAQP - January and August,
but much more so in August.

August should have an HP category - just my opinion.

It would be interesting next August if one hundred or two hundred
stations ran HP and all sent in check logs :-)

N4GG