[SECC] NAQP

ku8e ku8e at bellsouth.net
Mon Aug 20 22:59:00 EDT 2007

BTW.. I forgot to mention. I was at that ARRL Convention in Louisville, KY
back in the 1980's when the idea for the NAQP was drafted by K8CC, K5ZD and others. There were a lot of W8/ W4 contesters there along with a bunch who had come up from Texas that year - K5ZD, K5LZO , K5TM and KZ5M (now K7BV) and others I can't remember. That was the heyday of the TDXS (Texas DX Socirty) as a contesting club. Remember the Great Armadillo Run ?? . There was a contest suite at the convention and a big topic of discussion was the ARRL CD Party, which had been  just discontinued by the ARRL.

The real reason for creating the NAQP was to have a contest that would replace the CD parties. The NAQP was also unique is that it was the only USA domestic contest where everyone could work each other on all the bands - 160-10 meters (like the CD Party) The idea of running 100 watts was just something that was written into the rules. It wasn't the reason for creating the NAQP. I think the KW vs 100 watt debate even occured back then. If I remember right the NAQP was run as a CW only contest for many years before a SSB version was created. The SSB Sprint was also created around the same time.

As far as I know there is not another domestic contest that you can work everyone on all the bands. Plus there are NO domestic contests that you can run a KW and work everyone on all the bands. You can't count CQ WPX or IOTA because these are really DX contests.

Jeff