[SECC] Fw: NAQP SSB KU8E Single Op HP

Bill Coleman aa4lr at arrl.net
Tue Aug 21 21:00:19 EDT 2007

On Aug 20, 2007, at 10:14 PM, ku8e wrote:

> The type of antenna you are using (i.e. ERP) makes probably more of a
> difference than running a kW.

I think it's more complicated than that. If you look at the maximum
gain figures for your basic vertical or dipole and then look at the
figures for stacked yagis, you're not going to find anything beyond
the level of 10 or so dB, unless you get really into BIG arrays.

100 watts to 1 kW is 10 dB. Going to 1500 watts is 12 dB. So, that's
probably a wash.

A bigger variance is the ANGLES. You may have huge beam with 10 dBd
max gain way high in the air, but if the angle offered by propagation
is right in the 30 dB null of the antenna, then you're better off
with the low dipole. That will make a 20 dB difference.

You can't create favorable propagation with an amplifier, no matter
how big.

> As loud as W5*** (who has a big antenna farm)
> was on 20 meters backscatter there is no way he was running just
> 100 watts.

You don't know that for sure.

> I can name other stations who are consistantly loud in NAQP as
> well. I am
> 100% sure that some of these guys are cheating.

Perhaps some of these guys, like you and Hal, got bored, turned on
the amp and are sending in checklogs.

In any case, if there's rampant cheating, then a well-placed DQ or
two should have a positive effect. It sounds better to me than
ruining the contest by allowing HP.
> Look at the top ten in every NAQP. It  always consists of people
> who have
> big stations and antenna farms.(almost the same guys who make top
> ten in SS)

That makes some sense to me. Guys who have built stations that are
competitive in domestic contests (SS) do well in the NAQP. That
doesn't mean they are cheating.

> Why should I have to compete against them with my small station.

You don't. You have your choice. You can build your own superstation,
or you can try to get invited to guest op at a superstation, or your
can try to do the best you can with the station you have, and take
delight in beating out guys who have much more hardware than you.

> Make the
> contest have a HP and LP class like SS. The main reason I do LP in
> SS is I
> have a chance if condx are just right to maybe make the top ten.
> That would
> be impossible in the HP category.

I spend most of my contest time running LP. About the only time I use
my wimpy AL-80A is in RTTY contests, and even then I only run about
400-500 watts out. I can't even use the amp on 160m or 80m. Trust me,
I know about low power.

NAQP is a lot more fun for me, because I don't have to slug it out
between the kW stations. SS is a lot tougher. It's much more
difficult to try to hammer out a clear frequency with kWs on either
side. This is ESPECIALLY true on phone. No so much on CW.

If the rules were changed to allow HP, scores might be higher, but
the fun factor would disappear.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901