[SECC] Fw: NAQP SSB KU8E Single Op HP

Lee Hiers lee.hiers at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 22:39:37 EDT 2007

On 8/21/07, ku8e <ku8e at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> I guess I don't see why
> this would "ruin" this contest.

This is so simple, it baffles me that you don't see it, considering
your years of radio experience, Jeff:

For example, under the current contest rules, let's say I am 5db below
NQ4I, a relatively nearby station.  At only 5db down, I'm able to
reasonably hold a frequency and enjoy running stations in the contest.
 Now, under your plan, NQ4I is suddenly 17db louder than me, and I
don't have a snowball's chance in south Georgia of running people near
him, I'm bounced around the band a lot more, my score suffers, and I'm
not having fun anymore.

Do you really not see that?

> If you still want to run 100 watts you can and compete against other
> stations
> running the same amount of power.  I guarantee that those that have the
> choice to run HP would switch over in a heartbeat.

Is that why people like N5TJ and W2GD operate QRP class in contests
that allow them to run 1.5kw?

And, if power cheating is as rampant in NAQP as you seem to think it
is, do you honestly think that those who run in excess of 100w now
wouldn't run in excess of 1.5kw if the power limit were raised to the
legal limit?  Why would their M.O. change?

--
Lee Hiers, AA4GA
"Have Dobro Will Travel"