[SECC] Antenna improvements (Was: NAQP)

Dennis McAlpine dbmcalpine at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 23 22:25:42 EDT 2007

Tnx, Bill.  After reading your comments, I went back to ON4UN's book on LF operating.  He cited a study by A. Chrisman that concluded that four elevated radials were the equivalent of 120 buried radials if the elevation was at least 15' on 80 meters.  He also said that as the underlying ground became poorer, the height of the elevation had to go higher to have the same effect.   Maybe I ought to go to 15' and forget the 10'.  Radio Shack, here we come.

Another question, as I start to search for a suitable remote location, how close to the ocean do you have to be in order to receive the benefits of salt water?  Obviously, if you can stick the antenna right in the ocean, you have a good salt water ground and all the benefits that inure.  But, how about if your antenna is 100' from the ocean? or 1/2 mile? or 1 mile?  In other words, when does the distance away from the salt water offset the positive effective of being on the salt water?

73,

Dennis, K2SX