[SECC] GQP re-defined

Ny4n at aol.com Ny4n at aol.com
Mon Dec 17 12:03:50 EST 2007

In a message dated 12/17/2007 6:50:22 AM Pacific Standard Time,
ku8e at bellsouth.net writes:

> I think I mentioned this before but didn't hear back any comments.
>
> Why not make NQ4I (or W4AN - if they use that call) as the official club
> station of the GQP
>  sponsor, which is the SECC. You would get bonus points every time you work
> them.
>  I think they do something like this in the PA QSO party.
>
> I have no problem if Rick's station does M/M in GQP. The more fixed stations
> that are on from
> GA the better.
>
> Jeff

I have no opinion on this one way or the other, but we do this in the
Tennessee Qso Party.

The Flagship station of the TCG is K4TCG. Every year, a group, either M/M or
other, takes the call and uses it. Stations are awarded 100 points for each
contact with K4TCG, on each band and mode, including VHF-UHF.

Last year, our Club here in Dickson, Tennessee, was given permission to use
K4TCG.
We don't have a M/m station in our county, so different stations in our Club
were issued certain bands and modes.

For example, NY4N was the CW and VHF-UHF CW and SSB station. Another station
across town, K4GWG, was assigned 40 SSB. Other stations were issued certain
bands and modes. As long as each station was operating on their assigned band and
 mode, there was no worry about dupes. After the contest, all logs were
combined as one. The only requirment was that all stations participating had to be
located in our county here, Dickson. This would not be a problem if you had a
M/M that could cover multiple bands and modes at one place.

The kicker is that K4TCG is NOT eligble for any awards from the QSO Party.
That was OK with us here. I had a friend, Greg, a newbie, KI4TCN, over and he
operated the VHF-UHF station when Becky was busy. Although activity was slim, he
did get some contesting expierence.

That's how we do it here. We had a team working on the upgrading of the TQP
rules and they did a wonderful job.

Again, this post is not to sway your Club one way or another on this issue. I
thought it might help if you had another viewpoint.

Happy Holidays
Jeff NY4N
2008 TCG
Executive Assistant