[SECC] Membership and "The Circle"

Hal Kennedy halken at comcast.net
Wed Jun 6 21:03:10 EDT 2007

Perhaps it's important that we reflect on the subject John just brought
up regarding membership in SECC.  Membership is open to everyone, per
the bylaws, and we sincerely mean this.  This includes all sorts of
members who can't contribute to the club in competitions, such as those
outside the competitive circles (ARRL and CQ are different), beginners,
old timers past their operating prime or interest, members snowed under
at work, people in the process of moving QTHs and folks who have left
the area but still value their membership.  All these and more are
welcome members in our club - even though they cannot directly help us
win a club competition.  Beyond being welcome, such members may have
opportunities to operate at NQ4I or other SECC QTHs "within the circle"
and contribute scores - but this is at their option and not a
requirement for membership.  As an example - we are pleased to continue
to have many ACG members as SECC members, and collaborative efforts
between the clubs for contests other than those with rigid circle
requirements is a prospect I look forward to.  There are no geographic
limits regarding membership - SECC club membership is open to amateurs
worldwide.

The ARRL and CQ dictate circle radii (or an ARRL section) for certain
inter-club competitions.  Most contest clubs cannot draw a circle or
select an ARRL section that includes all their members.  Meanwhile -
THEY ARE STILL MEMBERS.  Clubs do the best they can with this issue.

Reexamination of the SECC competitive circle is something that should
happen very infrequently and only in the face of factors affecting who
will or can contribute scores among our membership - rather than any
desire to change the nature of the club.  Moving the circle will not
change who is a member - it may change which members can contribute to
which contests.  The formation of the ACG and the consolidation of the
TCG around an ARRL section are factors which warrant a re-evaluation of
the SECC's circle.  It will only be moved, if at all, after all the
facts are known and it is voted on.

This process should not cause anyone to leave.  I'd like to encourage
members to recruit new members within and outside the existing circle.
There is more to membership than simply residing within a circle whose
radius is outside of our control.

73,
Hal

See Y'all in the ARRL VHF contest this weekend?  Six has been open most
evenings for the past two weeks.  You can contribute your score to the
SECC if you are within our ARRL circle - but that's not the reason to
get on.  The reason to get on is....... contesting is fun (6m in
particular).

GG