[SECC] Proposed New Center for Circle

Matt Lee, K4AQ Matt at HiWAAY.net
Mon Jun 11 20:11:19 EDT 2007

"Even with this specificity, I don't think its gonna put me inside the
circle."

Your conclusion is correct. Your QTH is about 19 miles South outside of the
circle.

I will plot your new coordinates where they will be when referenced to
QRZ.com's coordinates and address.

--
Matt Lee, K4AQ
Atlanta, Georgia

  _____

From: Jim Rowe [mailto:K4BK at BellSouth.Net]
Sent: Monday, June 11, 2007 17:58
To: secc at contesting.com
Cc: Matt Lee, K4AQ
Subject: Re: [SECC] Proposed New Center for Circle

Matt,

Thanks for noting my typographical error in your email reply to Gordon,
N4LR.  The longitude (in decimal format) should have been -80.63368 instead
of -80.36638 which would have placed my QTH well out into the Atlantic
ocean.  I don't live out there.  I was at my home in Warner Robins at the
time and called my daughter on the telephone for the coordinates.  She read
them correctly as I had them entered into my logging program.  QRZ.com, as
you probably know, will compute coordinates based on the zip code or allow
you to manually enter them.  I manually entered mine and they appear to be
correct.

I am back in Jacksonville now and used Google Earth to check my approximate
coordinates, since I don't own a GPS device.  As best as I can determine,
the coordinates are 30 degrees, 06 minutes, 28.97 seconds North latitude and
81 degrees, 38 minutes, 01.03 seconds West longitude.  If you use Google or
even some better software, mine is the third driveway on the left side of
the street going in a southerly direction.  Its an "L" shaped house and my
operating position is in the northeast corner of the house.  My antennas are
in the back yard.  Even with this specificity, I don't think its gonna put
me inside the circle.

The best answer for me is to operate ARRL contests from my home in Warner
Robins, where there is not any doubt, and other contests from there and from
here in Jacksonville.

73,
Jim, K4BK