[SECC] the adventures of winning the HPM award

ku8e at bellsouth.net ku8e at bellsouth.net
Thu Sep 27 16:48:24 EDT 2007

Greg,

 Congratulations on winning the HPM award. It's nice to see some young contesters like KF4GTA, WY4N and yourself active in the SECC. I was licensed when I was 16 years old - that seems like a distant memory now !!

 As the Fall contest season approches I would encourage those of you who have a nice contest station that you might not be using some weekend to invite a young ham over and get them interested in contesting. I'm still considered young (in my 40's) compared to other contesters. I have a real concern about the future of contesting because we are not getting many new young guys/girls taking an interest in contests.

 I was lucky when I was growing up in Ohio to be able to operate and have mentors like K8MR, K3LR, KS8S, AD8P, N8ET, W8FN, K8CC and W8AV. Being part of a multi-operator team taught me many of the contesting skills I have today - both operating and technical. I would have no idea how to work on towers or build little interface boxes etc without that experience. Contesters we all know like K5TR, W4AN (sk), KM3T and others experienced this in their youth as well and that's why they are good contesters.

73, Jeff  KU8E  check 76