[SECC] after GQP for K4HYB

Rick Dougherty NQ4I nq4i at contesting.com
Fri Apr 18 06:41:25 EDT 2008

Hi all...well I got a lot of early flak from some club members wondering why
I would fire up the NQ4I M-M station and even do the GQP....so here's why!

We had a local radio club in Griffin that has been floundering the past
couple of years, and needed some kind of shot in the arm to get it
jumpstarted....the GQP has been just that! Four local members came out and
participated in the M-M operations...these were four individuals who had
never contested in their life...they were trained by some seasoned NQ4I
operators and had the reins of the station in minimum time...and I must say
it was amazing to see their faces as they worked dx and stateside stations
from all over the world...they had smiles from ear to ear!!! Kinda like the
first time you worked your first dx contact...in my case nearly 47  years
ago...it's hard to remember that time when it was hard to approach the mike
or key because we were afraid, and shy about getting on the air! But these
four hams did it, they had fun, and they will be back next year when the
chance to be a part of the GQP comes again...so I am happy that I could use
the GQP to introduce some new hams to contesting and who knows, they might
turn into contestors too!! The local club has a new level of interest...the
station trustee tells me that qsl cards are pouring in and these new
contestors will be sending out cards for their contacts!

de Rick NQ4I