[SECC] NAQP CW W4BW Single Op LP

Bob Wilson w4bw at w4bw.net
Sun Aug 3 16:07:54 EDT 2008

North American QSO Party, CW

Call: W4BW
Operator(s): W4BW
Station: W4BW

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: GA
Operating Time (hrs): 3:27

  160:
   80:
   40:   22    14
   20:   60    27
   15:   25    15
   10:    8     6
-------------------
Total:  115    62  Total Score = 7,130

Club: South East Contest Club

Team: SECC #2

Comments:

I planned to operate only part time, due to a planned family cookout.  I fired up the computer and set up WriteLog about 2 pm, just before the cookout, so I could "get to it" when family duties released me.  When I walked into the shack about 5 pm, I noticed the computer was off and the power switch had no effect, but everything else was up and working.  A little troubleshooting ensued before I pronounced the power supply dead.  Of course I didn't have a suitable replacement so I began swapping in another desktop, loading WriteLog and getting that configured, hooking up the interfaces, etc..  I finally go going about 6 pm.  Then about 7:45, thunderstorms showed up, causing a power outage and about 2 hrs off the air due to electrical storms in the area.  I was able to get back on the air when the snapping and popping subsided, but by then my enthusiasm had waned and I called it quits very early about 11 pm.

This ended up being alot more part time than planned, but I still really like the NAQP's.

Thanks for the Q's and I hope to see everyone in 2 weeks.  Now the search begins for a power supply for my old HP VLI8 P3.  Or maybe it's time to upgrade to something less than 5+ years old!

Bob Wilson - W4BW