[SECC] Bellsouth

Lee Hiers lee.hiers at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 20:28:32 EST 2008

On Jan 14, 2008 7:47 PM, Ben Coleman <nj8j at benshome.net> wrote:

> There are good reasons for that - like that a large chunk of spam email
> (which, according to the last figures I saw, now makes up at least 90% of
> email volume) comes from machines on dynamic IPs - typically from "zombied"
> PCs (PCs taken over by a virus or worm) that are being used as spam relays.

I fully understand their reason.  I don't doubt that 90% of the email
I receive is from spammers; I no longer count it.

I administer a 2700-address opt-in email list for a monthly newsletter
and each month approximately 1/3 of the email is blocked from me
sending it due to my having a dynamic IP.  I would be just fine and
dandy with using my ISP's SMTP server, except it shuts down after 300
or so emails for about a half hour...again, suspecting that I (or my
corrupted computer) is up to no good.

> I run my own mail server, and I can tell you that of all the emails that get
> blocked on my server, the category that is consistently the largest category
> is connections from servers on dynamic IP addresses.  It typically runs
> between 35% and 60% of all blocked emails.  I doubt if any of this is actually
> valid, non-spam email.

Then I presume you didn't ask to be included on the mailing list I administer.

> If you want someone to blame for these email inconveniences, blame the
> despicable spammers.  If the ISP didn't take anti-spam measures, the spammers
> would long ago have made email unusable.

I know who is to blame - in addition to the spammers, it is the ISPs
that shut down my legitimate use of the internet in the name of
protection of the masses.  I would rather take care of my own
spam-prevention, and do so for some of my email addresses, and rely on
Gmail for the remainder.

--
Lee Hiers, AA4GA
"Have Dobro Will Travel"