[SECC] It's Now or Never

Rick Dougherty NQ4I nq4i at contesting.com
Thu Jan 24 10:03:00 EST 2008

Hi all...well my subject is a famous song...and it was sung by Elvis
Presley..... and it means almost every thing to most of us...as we approach
this next sunspot cycle, it will most likely be the last one for many of
us......I don't mean this in a bad way, but we are aging as a group and most
of us are 60 or greater..so the chance of another sun spot cycle doesn't
look that good...so its time to set some goals, it time to build that
antenna system, its time to purchase that rig you wanted, or what ever you
have been saving up for.. ...I know hams here on the reflector who have
towers and antennas sitting in the yard...it's time to get them up in the
air and enjoy our last cycle.....go on that dxpedition.....fix that
radio...get that microphone or key dusted off, and get in the pileups and
get dxcc finally....we each have something that we have been sitting on for
some time ....so I am encouraging you to get on the
air...participate....make some noise for the SECC....and most of all make
some memories for when we sit on the porch in 15 or 18 years and there are
no more sunspots we will still have some great memories to talk about!!!

I personally see this as my one and last opportunity to break into the top
three M-M spots...so I am re-aligning my whole antenna farm this summer..I
will undertake the movement of of 16 yagis...they will be taken down,
checked for performance, etc, and re-installed at more advantageous
locations on different towers...my goal is to get my station in a much
better position for the upcoming sun spots and to take advantage of every
opportunity that might come our way....

Drop us a note here on the reflector and let us know what you plan to do for
this cycle?? Nothing is too big or too small for consideration...what I am
looking for here is some soul searching and planning of the nature that will
fulfill your dreams about the hobby....any body out there have any
thoughts??

I have another project under wraps that I wish to unveil here..its still in
the planning stage...my recent rip to India showed me that we really have
things that we take for granted...the population of India is over a Billion
people...there are nearly 2000 hams in India...of the 2000, only 200 have HF
privileges..of the 200, there are realistically only 80 or so who are truly
active on the air...I was lucky enough to meet Paddy VU2PEP...he welcomed me
into his meager apartment and I had the chance to listen and make a few
qso's on 20m from India...truly an eventful meeting and opportunity...we
take so much for granted...and his station and antenna were things he had
scrounged and collected over many years...and some things were from other
hams who had sent something to him...I am wondering if we might put together
some sort of package to send him things that might be surplus to our needs,
or maybe we might purchase some in-expensive tools etc and send to him...so
far I have no real knowledge of a proper way to get things to Hyderabad,
India...not sure if DHL goes there or not....and this is just in the talking
stage...anybody else have any interest in helping get zone 2 active and
workable for the next sunspot cycle??

I know I ramble a lot..so I hope I haven't offended anyone with this
post....here's hoping that this next sun spot cycle brings lots of dx and
contesting to all!

de Rick NQ4I