[SECC] WAE Anniversary Competition and Awards

John Laney k4bai at worldnet.att.net
Thu Jun 5 16:27:40 EDT 2008

Hello all:  Those of you who like to work Europe may want to enter a
rather extended contest/award period from the beginning of WAECW until
the end of WAESSB this year.  See details below.  Not sure that I
understand what they mean by WAE RTTY QSOs counting, but I guess they
count even though they are not during the time period for other QSOs.
Apparently no particular information must be exchanged, except that
required during the WAE contests themselves.  It is clear that even
contacts on WARC bands count.  So, I guess you open up a WAE file during
WAE CW, submit your log at the end, then keep it open for more CW and
SSB and RTTY QSOs until the end of WAE SSB.  Not sure exactly how to
combine the modes and logs into on log.  So, I am sure ragchews are
encouraged between the two (or three?) WAE contests this year.  Could be
fun if only sunspots permit.  Would be nice if it encourages more
Europeans to get on the band and make QSOs outside Europe, as it seems
to me that, even when the bands are open, there are often very few
stations on, many ops having been discouraged by band conditions lately.

The last several days, 30 and 20 have been open to Europe as late as 03Z
and 20 has been opening to Europe by 12Z most days.  Not much from
Europe on 17 lately (except it was great from Jamaica, hi).  73, John,
K4BAI.