[SECC] SS from GA and the East Coast

John Laney k4bai at worldnet.att.net
Tue Nov 4 19:00:30 EST 2008

David Thompson wrote:
> As Paul N4PN and John K4BAI know its hard to compete (for top 10 spots) in
> either the CW or SSB SS from GA. There have been exceptions such as W4KFC
> and W9IOP but generally W5/6 and 7 are better spots. From W5 you can work W1
> to VA and W8/W9/W0 all day on say 20 and then work west later in the day.
>
> Lately KP4 seems to be a good place to make a run at the top score.
>
> This bias used to really upset the ARRL HQ gang as they wanted a W1 to win
> it all one day.
>
> Not to say that a good score is not possible from GA (W4ATL made the high LP
> SSB score several years ago) and N4PN and K4BAI have great scores each year
> (this year included).
>
> Its just location location.  Now the Dx contests are different!
>
> Dave K4JRB

I made the top ten SSB and CW several times in the 1970s from GA.  In
the 1990s or early 2000s, I think I was in the top ten three times as
guest op SO2R at W4AN's Dahlonega station on CW.  Was as high as #3 or 4
one year.  My score will be more competitive when I get SO2R going again
at home, but a SO2R station with good antennas would help, of course.
Have key and mike and will travel!  Any offers?  73, John, K4BAI.