[SECC] K4BAI Claimed Score NCJ NA Sprint SSB

John T. Laney III k4bai at worldnet.att.net
Sun Sep 14 12:21:04 EDT 2008

                    NA Sprint SSB Contest

Call: K4BAI
Operator(s): K4BAI
Station: K4BAI

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: GA
Operating Time (hrs): 4.0

   80:   66    1:12
   40:  109    2:10
   20:   33    0:38
---------------------

Team: Southeast Sprint Coalition

Comments:

FT1000MP, Alpha 78, 1 KW, TH6DXX, dipole, zepp, inverted vee.

20 was fair to W6, W7, KH6, KL7, and CO, but not a lot of activity.  Did work
a few 9s, a few in FL, and N4PN by backscatter or groundwave.  Went to 40
early.  It was relatively short with stations from FL, TN, and VA and further
out workable.  Good signals below 7200 from European stations in WAE contest.
West coast and KL7 signals good, particularly later in the period.  Never heard
KH7XS there.  75 was fair, but QRN built and it was difficult to copy the weaker
signals.  K7RL, K7SS, N6TR, N6RO had very strong signals from the west coast.
Glad to work CM4LS and VE9CEH on 40.  Thanks for all the QSOs.  Hope for more
activity next time.  It would help if more clubs got up teams from their areas,
not necessrily limited to their club members.  Hope the TX/LA stations and
operators will come out of the storm damage OK.  Think most participants did a
good job of avoiding emergency communications channels.

I will not name names here, but the phone contest demonstrates a lot of good
operators with high scores who are ignoring the requirement of sending (saying)
both calls during each QSO.  Most of us seem to do OK with this rule on CW, but
many aren't even trying to comply on phone.  It helps if all of the stations
actually in the contest will get into the rhythm of sending the other station's
call at the beginning and then our calls for a station who calls us and our call
at the end when we are to keep the frequency.  Doing it any other way leads to a
lot more confusion and QRM.

The NCCC practice sessions on Thursday nights are a good chance to practice so
you will get it right during the real thing.  73, John, K4BAI.