[SECC] US qso's

Ted Bryant W4NZ at comcast.net
Wed Dec 2 05:49:59 PST 2009

Since this subject seems to come up each year after the contest, doesn't it
indicate there are areas in the rules which could be improved? I'm surprised
this hasn't already popped up on the CQ-CONTEST reflector.

I agree with Dave that the CQWW rules committee will never allow points for
US-US or other same-zone/same-country QSO's.  It would likely totally change
the "flavor" of (and ruin, imho) the contest.

The idea of allowing zero-point QSO's in any contest where we judge results
based on score runs completely against the competitive nature of that same
contest.

In previous discussions it was pointed out that since the CQWW is a "DX"
contest, allowing multiplier credit for same-country or same-zone QSO's
violates that premise. It was suggested that these QSO's be disallowed
completely, nullifying the whole issue of points. Doing this would affect
those places where an "entity" covers a complete zone.  Stations in that
zone would lose their zone/country as a multiplier. But there are very few
of these situations: Zone 2 in Canada and Zone 6 (Mexico, including XF4) and
zone 18/19 Asiatic Russia.

Some will argue, "Well, I can't work all 40 zones."  Or, "I'll lose two
multipliers." (Where's the "DX" in working the zone/country you're sitting
in?)

But, if the potential loss of a couple of multipliers for a very few
stations is the price to pay for "fixing" the zero-point issue, it seems to
me it is well worth it.

Thanks for allowing my 2-cents from an interested "outsider" (though I do
participate on the SE Sprint Coalition teams)

73, Ted W4NZ