[SECC] NE4S 160M CW

Michael Condon mrcne4s at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 6 09:10:26 PST 2009

The Wonder Wire did a good job on TX.
156' L, 6 radials, hidden in the trees and in the ivy/ leaves on the yard.
The wire blends in so well that sometimes I cannot find it easily.
An MFJ auto tuner kept up with QSYs very well.

But I have dead spots to west/northwest on RX.
Same problem to EU.
CA callers were very hard to copy, even in the early AM.
I am thinking a flag... I think I can "hide" that better than the other choices, possibly a bit less detune from the main antenna and house.
The lot is not big, and the covenants are terrible.  A K9AY would be my best choice.

First hours of work were jumping spots for mults.  Then I found I could run on the low end pretty well and built up some points.
A bit of elbow bumping, but OPs were very good about sliding a bit to fit.  I know I will nudge the dial when needed.

Missing were WTX, AK, HI, NT, NWT, and a couple CA sections.
DX was Carib, and a couple EU.  Not many 5 pointers.

And, Next time I will get more "on" time in the wee hours... I took a 4/5 hour nap, both nights.

Next time....

Here is the info...  Twas fun.

Mike, 73

                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: NE4S
Operator(s): NE4S
Station: NE4S

Class: M/S LP
QTH: GA
Operating Time (hrs): 19H

Total:  QSOs = 615  Sections = 72  Countries = 11  Total Score = 105,327

FT1000MP/100W/Inverted L.
Single OP... packet spots.
Still no RX ant here, only heard strongest EU.
Mike.

 Please use ne4s at iham.us or mike1230 at mcnet.us as my address.
GQP 2010 is on April 10, 11th, Join the party.
See gqp.contesting.com !
Be well