[SECC] K4BAI Claimed Score, NA Sprint CW, Feb 09

John T. Laney III k4bai at worldnet.att.net
Sun Feb 8 13:29:47 EST 2009

Date: Sun,  8 Feb 2009 09:55:41 -0800 (PST)

                    NA Sprint CW Contest

Call: K4BAI
Operator(s): K4BAI
Station: K4BAI

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: GA
Operating Time (hrs): 4.0

   80:  147    1:58
   40:  126    1:50
   20:    7    0:12
---------------------

Team: SE Sprint Coalition #1

Comments:

FT1000MP, Alpha 78, 300W-1KW, 88' CF zepp, 40M dipole, 80M inverted vee dipole.

I had many problems, mainly the failure of my TH6DXX in January.  Last weekend,
I burned up some component in my #1 antenna tuner.  The back up antenna tuner
has some problem so that I can't run over about 500W on 40 and over about 300W
on 20 without getting RF feedback that keys the rig at unwanted times.
However, even considering the poor backup antenna on 20M, I have never heard
conditions as bad on 20M in a Sprint as they were last night.  It would have
been better with the beam, but that didn't account for the fact that the band
was just about dead.  I guess it was open well to Alaska, as KL7RA was quite
steady.  N7FO was strong, but I got beat out every time I called him.  Almost
everybody else was very weak, and I gave up after just a few minutes.  No one
answered my CQ or even called me after I inherited the frequency on 20M.  40
and 80 were pretty good.  Long skip came in pretty soon on 40 and the QRM from
the Mexican RTTY contest was distracting.  I noticed some long skip on 80, but
it wasn't significant.  Probably that is because I am pretty remote from most
other participants in this contest.  80M felt "normal" because I had my usual
antenna there and the power wasn't limited there either.  I heard N1ME in Maine
and VP2E on Anguilla, but wasn't able to work either.  Heard no RI station nor
anyone in the Dakotas.  Only Canadian provinces heard/worked were VE2, VE3, and
VE7.  Thanks for all the QSOs.  73, John, K4BAI.