[SECC] W4PZV

MARK LUHRMAN w4svo at embarqmail.com
Sun Jul 5 16:51:05 PDT 2009

On July 3, 2009 around 6am , W4PZV went to the eternal land. First licensed in 1936, at the age of 17, he was one of the founders of the Greater Cincinnati Amateur Radio Assn. As of  last year only two remained. He held the call W8PZV. Later we moved to Birmingham, Al., where he was W4PZV. Then W0BCF from St. Louis, Mo. 1950-1957. Then we moved to Atlanta, Ga. in 1958, and again he was W4PZV. In 1960 we moved back to Cincinnati, and again used W8PZV. In 1963 I got my novice license WN8KOR with the help of my Dad. In 1963 we moved to West Palm Beach, Fl. And W4PZV was put into use again. He held that call for more than 50 years! He was a member of ARRL for over 70 years. In the 1980's he was one of the cowriters for the Palm Beach County Tower Ordinance, making sure all amateurs there could put up a antenna at a resonable hgt. 60 feet! He also pulished an article in 73's Magazine on Power Line Interference. He worked closely with Florida Power and Light helping them  to set up a program and division to help amateurs with power line noise problems. He also ran against Frank Butler in the SE Sec. Mgr, but lost. He always tried to help others.

       On April 28 1982 he recieved #22 DXCC on 160. He was one of the first 4's to work VS6DO and DU9RG on 160 meters! On that one Tuesday in 2007, I was listening on 20 meters with my wire antennas and could hear BS7H working by district. I called my Dad and told him that when I woke up that morning that someone or something was telling me he was going to work him. Dad said" I have not heard him very good so far, but I am hearing him pretty good today." About 1 hour later on the way to work my cell phone rang---"I got him, I got him, I got him! And he was just like a little kid again! It took him 71 years to work his last country. This is what amateur radio is all about. The thrill of working a new one! I will miss him greatly, he was my elmer and my best friend. He taught me how to be respectful of others on the bands. Not to use all that profane language we hear so much on the bands today. Even though he was pretty opionated and set in his ways, He would still listen to your ideas, but not always agreeing     So this weekend I will be using his call W4PZV from his station in the IARU Contest-High Power Phone Only.Please stop by and say hello even if you did not know him personally. This will be the last time you will here Whiskey 4 Pappa Zula Victor-Palm Beach! I know he will be listening. In memory of my Father Henry L. Luhrman May 18, 1919-July 3, 2009. Mark W4SVO