[SECC] Listening in on the CQ WW 160 SSB

David Thompson thompson at mindspring.com
Mon Mar 2 09:49:44 PST 2009

Have not been able to get a decent transmit antenna up so I just listened
and never had the QRN problems that W4SVO reported from North Florida.
With no amp and no antenna all I could do was listen.  I have the coax to
hook up the short dipole L
but the WX on Sunday took care of that.

Europe was coming through quite well but many were alligators.  AO1L all the
way up on 1971 was S9 for hours on Saturday nite.  UU7J (1914.5) was s9
until V48M grabbed the frequency.  V48M was working Europe better than NA
but most were not readable here.  Paul was also working Europe and I heard
about 1/2 the stations on the K9AY loop broadside NE/SW.

One station was speaking so fast that I had to leave the receiver on him for
several minutes to figure out it was KV4FZ with a guest op.  KP4KE was much
louder than NP4A so go figure.  Other loud Dx included ZF2AM, DR1A (1892),
PI4DX, E7DX, G3UEG, XE1RCS (as usual) and HI3TEJ.   later CM6RCR got clear
of the QRM and was quite good.   Surprised to hear TF3WG a couple of times
working N4PN and C6ANM.  Several HG/HA stations were heard but unless you
have a real effective TX antenna they are alligators.  Was surprised to see
LY4A with their big antenna and never found them calling CQ or working a
station.

Lots of loud USA and VE3.  WB9Z pinned the meter for several hours.
Activity covered the entire band from 1803 to 1990+.  Above 1940 stations
were spread out well so even low power did well.

Dave K4JRB