[SECC] GREEN STAMPS vs IRCs

Paul Hansen pwhansen at bellsouth.net
Sun Apr 4 11:32:19 PDT 2010

	Well, Dale, you've touched on one of my favorite topics. I love to
learn how to do things differently, and perhaps, better. That's why I'm
copying my response to the reflector. If there's a better way, or any
suggestions whatsoever, I sure want to hear about it.

	First, $1.00 isn't going to get you much unless your card is going
to Canada or Mexico. Even most of the Caribbean costs more that a dollar for
return air mail postage. $2.00 is the absolute minimum for almost
everything. $2.00 works all over Asia, Africa, Oceana, and South America.
It's starting to get marginal in Europe. Germany requires $3.00.

	There are a few countries that prohibit green stamps. Some more
vigorously than others. Some Muslim countries frown on green stamps yet
places like India, which officially prohibits foreign currency of any kind,
seems to let green stamps slide. IRC's are worthless in India so you're
almost forced to use dollars.

	I'm old enough to be in a bit of a hurry for QSL's so direct is my
preferred choice regardless of cost. The absolute best method is LOTW. eQSL
is worthless for ARRL credit but OK for CQ WAZ credits. Not getting much
more than 10% on LOTW or eQSL, your next choice is direct with green stamps
or IRC's. IRC's are only slightly less expensive than a pair of green stamps
unless you buy them from a QSL manager. I never buy IRC's from the Post
Office. Check with big time managers for current prices and availability.
Don't stay in the U.S. Look at Europe and South America. Even with postage,
the per unit price can be attractive and I've never had a problem with
product or delivery. Keep an eye on those pesky expiration dates, though.

	A quick note about bureaus and forwarding services. If you're 50 or
younger, go for it. If not, spend the money for direct unless it's not a
critical QSL.

	Some active DX'ers have used foreign postage. I've done it too. It's
more of a hassle than it's worth and not many DX stations care much for it.
You'll have an especially difficult time with dynamic postal systems like
anything in the English Channel other than Great Britain. So, you're back to
good old U.S. currency. Since it has been recovering a little faster than
the Euro, the exchange rate seems to be holding steady.

	So, here's what I do: $2.00 is my preferred offering but everything
in Germany gets an IRC. I reference web sites like Pathfinder to find out if
green stamps are prohibited or not. Even then,  I check with QRZ.com or
Buckmaster for individual DX station instructions. Their links and their QSL
instructions are followed to the letter. That worked for everybody except
OD5NH and V51AS. Good luck with those two guys. Like I said, some places,
like India, publish foreign currency restrictions. VU2PAI and VU2BGS both
ask for dollars. I do what they ask. Next, I ask myself about the honesty of
the DX station's postal authorities. You just can't get dollars through the
mail to a lot of third world countries. If I send them, I hide them as much
as possible. Otherwise, I'll opt for IRC's. Thieves don't much care for
them.

	That brings me to my last couple of tips. Outgoing QSL requests are
always sent in #10 security envelopes. I never reference a ham call sign on
the outside unless it's going to a club station of some sort. Even then, I
try to make it look less like ham radio and more like routine business mail.
For the return trip, most countries get marked airmail envelopes. Asian
countries, especially Japan, get #9 plain envelopes. Those guys frequently
have over sized cards that won't fit in easily obtainable airmail envelopes.

	Lastly, I use a simple Excel spreadsheet in addition to my logging
program to track QSL sent and received dates. It's much easier to age check
the Excel file than do a special sort in most logging programs.

	Now, off to the bank you go for a couple of bundles of one dollar
bills!

Thank you,

Paul Hansen, W6XA
Amateur Radio Service