[SECC] W4AN/M Claimed Score, 2010 FQP, Multi Op Mobile

John Laney k4bai at att.net
Tue Apr 27 18:10:58 PDT 2010

                    Florida QSO Party

Call: W4AN/M
Operator(s): K4BAI, KU8E
Station: KU8E/M

Class: SO Mobile+DriverCW LP
QTH: 29 FL counties
Operating Time (hrs): 19:15

   40:   456    0
   20:  1759    0
   15:     0    0
   10:     0    0
--------------------
Total:  2215    0  CW Mults = 68  Ph Mults = 0  Total Score = 602,480

The form did not allow for a selection of our actual class:  Multi op Mobile CW
LP.  So, I picked the nearest thing I could.  I have just spent about two hours
typing out what I hoped would be an interesting narrative about this contest and
something happened with the laptop and it disappeared when I was almost through
with it.  I have neither the time nor the energy to try to create it again, so
this will be an abbreviated report.  We apologize to all for our occasional
poor quality signal.  When the car engine was idling, the rig, which was
connected directly to the battery, didn't get the required voltage for a clean
CW signal.  We thought it better to continue to try to give out contacts while
the car was necessariy idling even though we were getting chirp and buzz
reports.  Very sorry about that.

TS850S, 100W, 15M Hustler mobile whip with DX Engineering top hat for 20M; 40M
Hustler mobile whip for 40M.  We were unable to use the second antenna mount,
so we had to stop and change whips whenever we changed bands.  That prevented
us from going to 40 in every county as we had intended.  We did make QSOs on
20M in all but one of our 29 counties.  We heard only one signal on 15M (a very
weak N8AGU) and didn't try the 15M resonator.

Thanks for all the QSOs, particularly from the 35 DX stations in 17 countries
that we worked.  We worked 45 states, missing UT, NE, and ND and six Canadian
areas (1, 2, 3, 4, 6, and 7).

Highlight was dinner Saturday night in Orange Park with K1TO, VE7ZO, K5KG, and
K8NZ.

Thanks for all the QSOs.  Please look for me as PJ4/K4BAI May 25-31 and PJ4A in
CQ WPX CW and for KU8E/M in the Ala QSO Party the first Saturday in June.  Also,
we hope to see many of you at the Dayton Hamvention.

Other than the second antenna mount, our only other problems were with some RF
feedback that caused us to stop using the electronic keyer and paddle as an
alternate to computer keying, our being 45 minutes late leaving home and
getting to FL after the contest had been running for 45 minutes, the problem
with the signal when the engine was idling, and being unable to see the cursor
in the logging window on Saturday.  That made making logging error corrections
difficult, but Jeff fixed that problem on Saturday night and we were able to
see the cursor on Sunday.

All QSL requests will be answered the day after receipt.  QSL to John Laney,
K4BAI, PO Box 421, Columbus, GA  31902-0421 U.S.A.  Any DX station may request
QSLs to be sent via the bureau by sending me an e-mail.  I do not have an
electronic QSL.

73, John, K4BAI (and Jeff, KU8E, who has no responsibility for any errors in
this message).