[SECC] K4BAI Claimed Score, NS Ladder, 8/27/10

John Laney k4bai at att.net
Fri Aug 27 07:57:38 PDT 2010

                     NCCC Sprint Ladder - Aug 27

Call: K4BAI
Operator(s): K4BAI
Station: K4BAI

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: GA
Operating Time (hrs): 0.5

   160:   0      0
    80:  10      8
    40:  24     18
    20:  11      7
    15:
    10:
-------------------
Total:  45     33  Total Score = 1,485

FT1000MP, 100W, TH6DXX (at 55' and rotating, with beam indicator working),
dipole, zepp, inverted vee.  Dan Street, K1TO (A1 Tower Service) finished up
replacing guys on my tower after previously replacing the rotor and
controller
and raised the tower back to maximum height about two hours before NS
tonight.
I was and am very excited to have a working rotor for the first time
since May
and a directional indication for the first time in about ten years.  Dan
did a
great job.  He had great help from KU8E and K4ETY.  After dinner at
Appleby's
Dan traveled on to the QTH of W4BQF for work today.

I continued to have trouble with the logging computer.  A few weeks ago, the
rig control stopped working.  Tonight, for no apparentl reason, the computer
keying failed.  I discovered this during SNS and set up the memory keyer
like I
used to use before computer logging.  It worked fine during SNS, but
during NS I
discovered it seemed easier to just send everything with the paddle and
not get
distracted by trying to push the proper button on the memory keyer,
which does
not do serial numbers anyway.

20M seemed to take a dive right at 0230Z, but I did get a faster start
than I
have in recent weeks using the zepp on 20M.  Stations from TX to MN and west
were workable with fair signals.  It was great to work Kelly, VE4XT, again.
And Greg, NA8V, in MI got through.  Nothing else worked from the east
part of
the country.  10 QSOs in 7 minutes and 20 seemed worked out.  40M was
slow to
start with, but picked up nicely as folks moved down from 20M.  The whole
country was workable except for a skip zone that seemed to encompass VA
to LA.
CA signals were weaker than usual, but the Pacific NW signals were quite
strong.
  I got beat out a lot.  The newly wired and installed (thanks KU8E) Six Pak
antenna switching unit has the two 40M antennas separated by the
tribander, so
I will need to change that before next Thursday.  A nice surprise on 40 was
W9WI/2 in NY, a rare multiplier.  Nice to have Dick, K4XU, QRV tonight.
  Went
to 80 with 8 minutes left and was able to work WD0T in SD and K1IMI
(N4CW) in
ME and points closer, but missed a lot of jump balls.  The 80M inverted
vee has
been down the last few weeks due to the lowering of the tower.  It
definitely
works better than the zepp to most of the country, but the zepp may be
slightly
better to the northeast.  But, I don't have to readjust the antenna
tuner if I
use only the inverted vee.  Great fun and see you all next week.  Look for
Jeff, KU8E, part time in the OH QSO Party this weekend as he will be in Ohio
visiting his parents (his father is W8CDA).  Good luck to all in the
contests
this weekend.  73, John, K4BAI.

http://www.hornucopia.com/3830score/