[SECC] [Contest] ARRL DX CW

John T. Laney III k4bai at worldnet.att.net
Mon Feb 15 17:45:13 PST 2010

I will be one of 5 ops in a small M/M with three stations at N4AF in
NC.  Rick, NQ4I, is not having his usualy M/M this weekend, since he
will be working.  This gives me an opportunity to fly to Raleigh (thanks
to Delta Sky Miles) to operate with my old college roommate, Jim Jordan,
K4QPL.  Jim is a lawyer in Raleigh.  We were roommates 1962-1965 off and
on at Mercer University in Macon, GA.  We had a Globe Scout, various
receivers, and also a crystal controlled spy CW rig that we used in our
room and later at an apartment.  In the dorm, we used the pi net in the
Scout to load up the bed springs, the window screens, and a short wire
out the window to another part of the dorm building.  Didn't get out
well, but could check into the GA State Net (GSN) and play around a bit
on the CW bands.  Later at the apartment, we had a NCX3 and a base
loaded WRL vertical with a tapped coil to change bands.  Jim and his
wife will put me up Thursday night and Jim has invited the local
contesters to drop by.  Most of them belong to PVRC.  Friday we will
drive to the N4AF station near the coast.  I will have to operate K3
rigs and use N1MM logging program. At least, I got a little exposure to
these at W8JI in CQ 160 CW.

Jim and I last operated together in the GA QSO Party in May 1968.  Less
than two weeks later, I flew to Korea for a 13 year assignment in the
Army JAGC Corps as the Deputy Staff Judge Advocate of the Second
Infantry Division.  I made about 13,000 QSO from there as HL9KQ and in
the CQ WW DX Contests in 1968 M/S as HL9US.

Hope everyone can be QRV next weekend and have a lot of fun and a lot of
QSOs. We could have good conditions on 15 and some propagation on 10
with not bad low band conditions if this week's conditions continue
through the weekend.  PJ4X will be QRV from the PJ4G shack on Bonaire
with a bunch of FL guys.  I guess they will be M/2 or M/S.  Probably M/2
I'd guess.

Anybody want to talk about going with me  (and possibly KU8E) to PJ4A
for CQ WPX CW in May?  73, John, K4BAI.