[SECC] ARRLDX CW KJ4HYG SOAB QRP

Christopher KJ4HYG kj4hyg at gmail.com
Sun Feb 21 17:01:57 PST 2010

Lots of fun.

chris / kj4hyg

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: <webform at b41h.net>
Date: Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 8:00 PM
Subject: ARRLDX CW KJ4HYG SOAB QRP
To: 3830 at contesting.com, kj4hyg at gmail.com

                   ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: KJ4HYG
Operator(s): KJ4HYG
Station: KJ4HYG

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: Marietta, GA
Operating Time (hrs): 3

 160:
  80:
  40:  16     11
  20:
  15:   8      7
  10:
-------------------
Total:  24     18  Total Score = 1,296

This was my first entry in the QRP category, and I must say it went fairly
well.
While I didn't do extraordinary (at 8 Q's and hour, I actually did quite
terribly) I had a lot of fun.

I like to say that I learn something new from every contest. This one was no
different. I learned that QRP contesting is really hard when the antenna
being
used is only 15 feet of the ground. Not to mention the fact that I was
limited
to 40m and 15m.

The real practical thing that I learned was to not assume the band
conditions.
I spent 2 hours on 15m on the assumption that 40m would be dead.... not true
at
all. I probably let over 60 Q's slip through my fingers, which is rather
disappointing...

Hopefully on the next big contest I will have a tuner for the big antenna,
and
I will be more smart in checking the conditions.

chris / kj4hyg

http://www.hornucopia.com/3830score/