[SECC] RX Antenna uses in Contesting

Michael Almeter w4mja at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 17 14:30:42 PST 2010

Hello All,

After using a new K9AY RX Loop here this weekend, I’d be
like to hear from others who have RX antennas (primarily on the low bands) that
in one way or another allow them to listen in various directions while
contesting. I’d like to know how best to optimize the various directions in a
contest situation. Below are a series of questions regarding the strategy in
using an RX antenna, and how you use it while contesting.

If your maintaining a
decent run from one direction (lets say South East), but the multipliers you
need are in the North West, what do you? Continue the run with the antenna to
the SE or possibly miss a few stations, and try to hear new mults with the
antenna to the NW?

If you’re new on the
band that is wide open, and everything is a new multiplier for you, what
direction will you aim the antenna?

Out of curiosity, if
you SO2R and only have 1 RX antenna, is it on your run or S&P radio?

Please reply off the list. After I stop getting responses,
I’ll post the results for those who may be curious. If you have any other tips
or tricks, please share them.

Thanks,

Mike Almeter

W4MJA